We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass and Rosary Schedule Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, 3:00 pm - Lent, or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day - (audio click name)
Directions, Church/Office Hours
Saturday, Nov 23rd 4:30pm, Sunday, Nov 24th 9:30am
The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe
“The rulers sneered at Jesus and said, "He saved others, let him save himself if he is the chosen one, the Christ of God." Even the soldiers jeered at him. As they approached to offer him wine they called out, "If you are King of the Jews, save yourself." Above him there was an inscription that read, "This is the King of the Jews."
Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us." The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." Luke 23 (35-43)
Our day-by-day Way to Joy
My name is Mary Smith. I have been a member of the parish for a long time, but only since I retired from teaching have I become more active in the church. An invitation from Kathy Russel to help in the kitchen eventually turned into becoming a member of the Caring Cooks Committee, Funeral luncheon group and MACC Mission food prep team.
Being a former educator led me to participating on the Education Commission, leading the Book Study groups and CLOW. In the community, I am involved with Midland’s Open Door. Sometimes when people retire, they say, “I don’t know how I ever had time to work!” I am finding that to be true, but I am enjoying sharing my time, talent, and treasure with my church family.
Assumption CHRISTMAS CHRISTIAN SERVICE
CHRISTMAS FLOWERS TO HOME BOUND
- If you are interested in delivering a flower to someone, or if you know of someone who is home bound, please call Marlene Saotome (859-2488) or Cathy at the parish office on or before Monday, November 18th.
- If you know of any of our parishioners needing a little help this Christmas season, please call the parish office with the following information: your name, the person or family you are recommending, their address and phone #, along with the number of adults and children in the family.
- We do have money allocated for gift cards. Please call the office before noon on Monday, December 2nd.
- Once again, this Christmas season we are partnering with the Salvation Army and United Way of Midland County to provide gifts for struggling families in our community through the Sharing Tree program.
- Trees are located in the gathering space and parish hall entrances. Please stop by and take a Green or Red tag, shop, wrap and attach the tags to the package. Gift cards are also a great idea to gift. If you purchase a gift card, please attach the sales receipt to the tag and put it into a small gift bag.
- If you are not able to shop, visit the website at: sharingtreemidland.org to make a monetary donation to help purchase unfilled bags.
- December 3—All gifts must be returned to the tree.
- December 4—Distribution Day -- need volunteers to help transport to the Salvation Army. Chris 835-8784
1st grade co-catechist needed
We are in need of someone to share the role of 1st grade catechist for our children’s faith formation program. We meet on Sunday mornings from 10:45am until noon during the school year (starting Sept. 22 with all holidays off). No experience is necessary—all teaching materials are provided. If you feel a call to be a companion to a small group of children on their faith journey and deepen your faith in the process, give Sarah a call at 631-4447 or email email@example.com to find out more!
One more aide is needed to help catechists during children’s faith formation in the classrooms after Mass. Aides can be middle school age and up. Contact Sarah if interested.
BOOT DRIVE - Following Jesus and “Pairing it Forward” - t0 Nov 16/17
- WOW! What a great response to our “Pairing it Forward” Boot Collection!
- We collected in all, 120 boots for young children. Our money donation for the teen boots reached $1,240!
- Plus we were able to supply 20 Foster Care children in the juvenile system with boots because of a $400 donation. That is awesome! We delivered them just in time for the cold weather and snow!
- God Bless all of you! Everyone pitched in to make a better and warmer winter for children and teens in our community.
Christian Service Commission Midland County Emergency Food Pantry Community Thanksgiving Baskets Nov. 23/24
Please join in this community event! Small and large donations are welcome!
Canned Fruits & Vegetables, Cereal, Spaghetti Sauce, Noodles, Boxed Potatoes, Stuffing, Rice, Dessert Mixes, Juices, Canned Meats, Jell-O, Pie Mixes
Catholic Campaign for Human Development, NOv 23/24
Next weekend we will take up the National Collection for the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD). This annual collection helps groups of low-income people in our diocese and across the country in their efforts to provide access to affordable housing, health care, jobs, employee-owned businesses, and rights for immigrants. By supporting CCHD, we help our own neighbors as 25 percent of our diocesan contribution stays within our diocese (see this weekends insert for more details). More information can be found at www.usccb.org/cchd/collection.
BLOOD DRIVE Monday, Nov 25, 2:00pm-7:00pm
- It’s in you to give blood. Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141, 3516 E. Monroe Rd., Midland 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Photo ID or two pieces of non-photo ID REQUIRED
- Appointment Preferred Questions? Call 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Attending donors will receive a pair of Versiti flip-flops WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.
ABVM’s Women’s Book Study, Nov 20, Dec 4, 11, & 18,
- Book Study Join the Assumption of the BVM book study group for an advent study of “The Women of Christmas” by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- Sign up at the Welcome Circle. Books will be distributed in the Holy Grounds on November 20 at 1pm. We will view an introductory video.
- Future meetings will be held on December 4, 11, and 18 from 1 – 3pm in Holy Grounds to discuss the study questions provided in the book.
- The author writes: “Christmas is so much more than a holiday. So much more than buying and wrapping and cooking and eating and trimming with tinsel and mailing out cards. It’s a season for reflection, for preparation, for renewal. The perfect time to put aside our shopping lists and reach for our Bibles, where the story of the Christ child awaits us.”
- If you have questions, contact Mary Smith at 989-245-2479 or call the church office.
ATTENTION ALL MACC Widowed Friends, Nov 21, 1:00pm, @Assumption
- Reminder, we are meeting on the first and third Thursday of every month at Assumption Church to play cards.
- Please join us on November 21st at 1:00 pm.
- Coffee and water are provided.
- If you have a friend who is a widow or widower who would like to come, they are welcome to join us. Contact Pat Blasy for any questions at 631-2140. Widowed Friends Committee
Our MACC Thanksgiving Day Mass will be @ St. Brigid at 9:00 a.m.
Please bring your food baskets to be blessed.
SAINT BRIGID OF KILDARE CHURCH FREE THANKSGIVING DINNER
- Thursday, November 28, 2019, 12:00 to 2:30 pm, Dinner is served in the school building
- The parishioners of Saint Brigid annually serve a traditional holiday meal with all the trimmings on Thanksgiving Day. We welcome and invite anyone who would enjoy a delicious dinner and friendship.
- No reservations required, just walk-in!
- Also provided for those TRULY in need:
- TRANSPORTATION to and from the dinner or DELIVERED TAKE-OUT DINNERS TO THE HOME BOUND ONLY PROVIDED FROM 11:45-2 pm; within Midland For this service, reservations are required by Tuesday, Nov 20. Call the parish office at 835-7121 ext. 31
- Special thanks to all sponsors including The H Hotel, The Table Chefs and Meijers!
HANDLING GRIEF DURING THE HOLIDAYS Wed, Dec 4th, 6:30-8:00 pm @ Assumption RSVP by Dec 2nd
- Presented by the Midland Area Catholic Community Grief Team Come join others who are trying to get through the holidays without their loved ones.
- Learn how to incorporate new traditions during the holidays. Be with others who are trying to get through the holidays without their loved ones. This program will be beneficial for adults and children who have lost parents, grandparents and loved ones. Please RSVP by December 2nd so we have enough supplies and refreshments. Call Assumption Parish at 631-4447 or your parish to register.
Faith Formation ADVENT FAMILY GATHERING, DEC. 8th 10:45am—12:30pm Parish Hall
All children’s faith formation families, catechists and aides will have class together! Join us for a group session where we learn more about the Advent season. More details to come.
- All Middle and High School instrumentalists (with at least 2 years experience) are invited to participate in the Christmas Ensemble.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday following the 9:30 AM Mass. 10:45 — 11:50 AM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Choir Christmas Eve Mass
- The youth (2nd grade—middle school) are invited to participate in the Youth Choir. The Youth Choir will sing during the Christmas Eve Mass prelude program.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday. 12:00 to 12:30 PM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: email@example.com