Welcome to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass and Rosary Schedule: Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, 3:00 pm - Lent, or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day - (audio click name)
Directions, Church/Office Hours
"What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
My name is Matthew Conley, musician. The earliest thing I remember about going to church as a young child is hearing the music. As soon as I was old enough, Bob Zondlak, our music director, gave me the opportunity to play the piano with the church instrumental group. Bob and the other members of the group have taught me so much about the church and our faith in general.
Now it is my turn to give back to the church who so graciously accepted me and patiently taught me. I’m happy and honored to share the love
I’ve always felt at Assumption through the power of music.
BLOOD DRIVE Monday, Sept 16, 2:00pm-7:00pm
- It’s in you to give blood. Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141, 3516 E. Monroe Rd., Midland 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Photo ID or two pieces of non-photo ID REQUIRED
- Appointment Preferred Questions? Call 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Attempting donors will receive a pair of Versiti flip-flops WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.
HUGE NEED FOR MINISTERS AT OUR MASSES
- The new Ministry Schedule for our 4:30 p.m. and 9:30 a.m. Masses will be coming out for October, November, and December. We have a HUGE need for ALL MINISTRIES.
- I ask you to pray about seriously considering signing up for a ministry.
- Our masses run so much better when all are taking a part in fulfilling these roles. Parents consider encouraging your child to be a server, maybe even join them in the ministry. If all of us, parents, children, teenagers, young adults, middle aged and seniors, would help with these ministries, it would be so much easier for the ones that have done it for several years.
- Please contact the parish office and ask for Cathy Converse. I look forward to talking with you and getting you trained in the ministry that you have chosen.
- Once you signed up through our online schedule, your weekends can be flexible. You can choose what works best in your schedule.
- We Thank You and appreciate your dedication Blessings, Cathy
Are You Shepherd Material? Openings available
- Willingness is a key qualification as God has gifted us all.
- Every parish needs willing lay leadership and here at Assumption we have been blessed by a number of folks who have and are serving on our commissions and councils.
- But, as we ramp up for our 2019-2020 “year”, we also have openings that we need to fill. If you would like to be considered for service on either our Pastoral Council or the Administration/Finance Commission, please leave your name at the Welcome Circle—or otherwise let us know of your interest.
- Details of each of these opportunities can be explored via the archived minutes of each found on our parish website.
- The Pastoral Council helps guide the overall growth and activity of our family of faith; and the Administration/Finance Commission oversees the budgets and buildings that support and house our parish’s projects, personnel and worship (so financial and/or facility management/maintenance experience are useful). Also, both the Education and Christian Service Commissions would welcome your interest in serving with them.
- Thank you again for your support of Assumption as we seek to follow our GOOD SHEPHERD now into our 104th year.
1st grade co-catechist needed
We are in need of someone to share the role of 1st grade catechist for our children’s faith formation program. We meet on Sunday mornings from 10:45am until noon during the school year (starting Sept. 22 with all holidays off). No experience is necessary—all teaching materials are provided. If you feel a call to be a companion to a small group of children on their faith journey and deepen your faith in the process, give Sarah a call at 631-4447 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
Aides are needed to help catechists during Children’s Liturgy of the Word during 9:30am Mass and faith formation in the classrooms after Mass. Aides can be middle school age and up. Contact Sarah if interested.
ATTENTION LITURGICAL MINISTERS
The next Liturgical Ministry schedule for OCTOBER, NOVEMBER and DECEMBER will soon be generated. If you know of any dates that you will NOT be available to serve, please submit your dates on-line by this Monday, September 16th. Or contact Cathy in the office. If you would like to serve in any of these ministries we would love to have you! Thank you for your ministry to Assumption!
Hope you received your GPS Information in the Mail?
Let your GPS take you on an amazing journey!
- Our parish Education Commission working with our Stewardship Task Force has put together four weeks of opportunity(ies) for all of us to learn about three words that are important to our faith journey…
- Our autumn journey of growth will be guided by the Sunday Gospels, Fr. Joe’s homilies, Little Burgundy books for daily prayer about our call to grateful stewardship, and a study guide to help us with our journey of under-standing as we grow in grateful appreciation the many blessings God has given.
- We live in a country where we have the freedom to worship and pray. We have the gifts and talents to serve others in our families, parish and community. So, each week the question ARE WE THERE YET? becomes a question that we will ponder as we reflect on how we are growing in our spiritual life.
- And we can help each other, serve each other and nurture our own growth by sharing our thoughts on the true meaning of Stewardship as together we become Companions in Christ.
- I invite each of you to come and be a part of the sharing. For our sharing, we’ll use the Little Burgundy books and our Growers’ Guide workbook. With wonderful people from our parish family leading these sessions, inspiration, enjoyment and growth will be gifts that we will share and celebrate.
- Mark your calendars for Mondays, (6:30 -7:30pm) on Oct. 7, 14, & 21; OR Wednesdays (1:00- 2:00pm) on Oct. 9, 16, & 23; OR Thursdays (9:30- 10:30am) on Oct. 10, 17, & 24. Sign-up sheets are at the WELCOME CIRCLE.
Midland County Right to Life dinner Sept 19 at Assumption
Will host its annual Focus on Life dinner on: Thursday, Sept 19 at Assumption.
Guest speaker will be Trevor Pollo. Pollo, who leads a statewide “Stump the Pro-Lifer” tour, will share how to use constructive dialogue to persuade others to the prolife view. Please reserve your spot by September 12. For more information, contact Lorie Shane at 989-835-1964 Doors Open at 5:30pm Dinner & Program at 6:00pm
Sunday, September 22nd Lunch at noon!!! COOKOUT AT aSSUMPTION
Hamburgs, Hot Dogs, Horse Shoes, Corn Hole, Gaga Ball, Ice Cream, and Entertainment by “Virginia and Friends”!!!
ALL ARE INVITED! For an afternoon of FELLOWSHIP and FUN!
WE NEED YOU!!! We need you to join in on the fun of this day!
Also, please consider volunteering before, during or after the picnic. Many hands make light work and it’s a great way to meet new people or reconnect with old friends. A time for fellowship and fun!! After Mass help will be needed to set-up tables and chairs under the tent. During the day, help will be needed to keep coolers full of pop and water and supervise children activities. Afterwards, general clean up, put away table and chairs, clean kitchen, etc. Many thanks for your help!!
Knights of Columbus Polish Dinner on October 5th, Father Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141
MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND GET YOUR TICKETS!!
Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Memorial Dinner Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm in the parish hall.
Featuring authentic Polish cuisine, music and fun...Food includes: kielbasa, gołąbki (stuffed cabbage), pierogi (potato & cheese dumpling) and much more!! Cooked and sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.
All proceeds go to Seminarian Support.
Get your tickets at Mass and at the Assumption Parish office. Limited number of tickets available. Suggested minimum donations:
$20.00 includes two complimentary adult beverages
$15.00 includes complimentary beverages for all ages
One Hundred Years of Service: 1919-2019 For questions, contact Matt Glaccum, 989-430-8622 or email: email@example.com.
FALL RUMMAGE SALE Oct 15, 16, 17, AT aSSUMPTION Drop off October 10-14
If you have been thinking about cleaning out your attic, basement, or that forgotten hall closet that is overflowing with stuff, now is the time to do it! If you have a chance to pre-sort the items, that is appreciated, but not necessary. Items can be dropped off Thursday thru Saturday 9am - 5pm, Sunday after Mass until 5pm, and Monday 9am - 5pm.
Volunteers are what make the Rummage Sale great, and we are always happy to see new faces! We have a little something for everyone, from leadership positions to one-time volunteer shifts. Please contact Mai or the office if you are interested in volunteering. Mai Nguyen (Chocon2999@gmail.com)
the 2nd MACC Mission “Becoming Saints - Day by Day”, October 27-30, 2019
Registration is open for the October 27-30 MACC Mission: Becoming Saints--Day by Day.
Details and registration information may be found in the mission brochure, a copy of which is inserted in the bulletin, or online at MACCMission.org. The mission includes four evening events, one of which will be hosted by each of our four MACC parishes. Three of the events will be facilitated by Fr. Fran Daly, SJ and Sr. Kathie Budesky, IHM, directors of two Detroit-area Catholic retreat centers. One evening will include a mini-VBS offering for our children. The mission will culminate with a concert featuring liturgical musician ValLimar Jansen. Please register online at MACCMission.org.or by returning the registration portion of the brochure to the parish office. Registering online early will help us plan!
Growing to KNOW God's Gifts, Sept 28 thru Oct 27 Four weeks to reflect on our blessings.
BECOMING DISCIPLES - DAY BY DAY - OCT 27 - OCT 30 MACC PARTNERSHIP MISSION
GROWING TO SHARE GOD'S GIFTS, NOVEMBER 2/3 THROUGH TO THANKSGIVING DAY NOV 28, Our Stewardship commitments lead us to Thanksgiving (the turkey feast and the ongoing attitude of gratitude)…