SCAM ALERT! Messages not genuine!
Several parishioners have reported again getting email or text messages asking for gift cards… the messages claim to come from Father Joe or one of the parish staff. These messages are NOT GENUINE! Do NOT respond. If you have any questions, call the parish offices USING phone number from bulletin or website NOT ANY NUMBER from the message itself. Please be vigilant!
Welcome to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass and Rosary Schedule
Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, (3:00 pm to 4:00 pm - Advent and Lent), or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day
Directions, Church/Office Hours
First Sunday of Lent
"...It is written: ‘The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.’ ” Matthew 4:10
Jesus clearly shows us by example in this passage. Although he is tempted by worldly riches and power, he chose to serve God the Father. To follow Jesus, we must put God at the center of our lives, not the things of the world. During Lent, it is a good time to look at our lives and decide how we can better serve God and turn away from earthly things.
At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was hungry. The tempter approached and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread.” He said in reply, “It is written: One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.”
Then the devil took him to the holy city, and made him stand on the parapet of the temple, and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: He will command his angels concerning you and with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.” Jesus answered him, “Again it is written, You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.” Then the devil took him up to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence, and he said to him, "All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me.” At this, Jesus said to him, “Get away, Satan! It is written: The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.”
Then the devil left him and, behold, angels came and ministered to him.
Food Pantry Distribution Truck, Thur, July 23, 2020, Assumption, goal of $1,500 for the cost of the food truck and to fill 80 volunteers for the day.
Buy with expiration date at least a few months, or Walmart, Meijer Brands.
During Lent, our community will participate in CRS Rice Bowl, a faith-in-action program that invites us to reflect on the challenges of global hunger-and our responsibility to respond to the needs of our global human family.
This year, CRS invites us to journey around the world to Honduras, Kenya and Vietnam to meet three girls and their families who are thriving with the support of CRS and faith communities like yours. Through stories, videos and lesson plans, we will learn about the global issue of hunger and malnutrition and our Gospel call to feed the hungry. We can watch these ‘Stories of Hope’ and more at crsricebowl.org.
Please consider these suggestions in your family’s Lenten plan:
- Use your CRS Rice Bowl and Lenten Calendar daily to guide your prayer, fasting and almsgiving.
- Read the Stories of Hope and daily reflections to inspire your Lenten journey and guide your Lenten almsgiving.
- Prepare simple, meatless meals on the Fridays of Lent to eat in solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the world.
We will collect your CRS Rice Bowls at the end of Lent, so watch the bulletin for further details.
An Opportunity To Serve, Our Christian Service Committee would like to draw your attention to our poster in the gathering space regarding our...
MOBILE FOOD PANTRY DISTRIBUTION TRUCK for Thursday, July 23, 2020.
With the great success we have had when we hosted the distribution truck, we are doing it again this summer. We need to reach our goal of $1,500 for the cost of the food truck and to fill 80 volunteers for the day.
Please take time to consider signing up to help out with this very important ministry to those in need of food for their table.
Families are welcomed! A great gift that you can pass on to your kids is the gift of volunteering! We will pre-assign you a job depending on the area of need. Questions, please call Cathy in the parish office at 631-4447. Let’s make this a day that truly lives out the Gospel Message…of Matt: 25…
"For when I was hungry you gave me to eat!" Thank You, Christian Service Committee
An Opportunity To Help, This year we will collect ENSURE DRINK for our SENIOR CITIZENS COMMUNITY CENTER and CANCER SERVICES.
These agencies were thrilled that we were going to do this collection!
It is a much needed nutritional drink and truly a great need in our community. You may also purchase the Walmart or Meijer Brands.
PEASE buy Ensure drinks with an expiration date that is out a few months or a year. You may also give a monetary donation in the money box that is provided in the Welcome Area. We will make a delivery to these agencies every week during lent.
LET’S “INSURE” ALL OF OUR SENIORS and CANCER PATIENTS with our love and care.
God Bless You for your kindness, Christian Service Commission
Childrens' Faith Formation Lenten Family Gathering @ Assumption
- March 1 after 9:30am Mass
Magnificent Mondays Lenten Movie Nights - A Video Tour of Biblical Sites @ Assumption
- March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 / 6:30-8pm
Women’s Book Study @ Assumption
- Lenten book study of “The Women of Easter” by Liz Curtis Higgs
- Wednesday’s March 4 thru April 15th / 1-2:30pm
XLT/Adoration led by our MACC Youth Ministry @ Assumption
- Sunday, March 8 / 6:00-8:00pm
Explore the Catechism @ Assumption
- How’ and ‘why’ of the drafting of our ‘new catechism’, and read a portion to to get a flavor of its approach.
- March 11, 18 / 6:30pm to 8:00pm
Meditative Walk @ Blessed Sacrament,
- Wednesdays, March 4 - April 1 - 6:30pm
Prayer and/or Soup Opportunity
- Evening Prayer Wednesday, March 4 @ Assumption Soup 6:30pm / Prayer 7:15pm
- Soup/Speaker at OLOG-Sanford, Wedn. Mar. 18 and April 1 - 6:00pm
- Taize Prayer/Soup at Blessed Sacrament, Wed, March 25/Soup 6pm, Prayer 7pm
- Soup Supper at Blessed Sacrmament, Sat. Mar, 28, 6pm
Communal Celebration (reconciliation)
- This service will begin with song, include scripture and homily and then offer the opportunity to briefly share with one of the priests present the healing, grace and forgiveness which you seek.
- Sun, Mar. 15, 2:00 pm at Blessed Sacrament,
- Tues, Mar. 31 7:00pm at Our Lady - Sanford
Individual Rite (private confessions)
- On each of these evenings, priests will be present to spend time with those who wish to celebrate the Sacrament in this fashion. It will be an opportunity for one-to-one private confessing and discerning where the Grace of the Sacrament might guide you on your journey of faith and Life.
- Tues, Mar. 17 7-9pm at St Brigid
- Tues, Mar. 24 7-9pm at St Brigid
Individual Rite (private confessions) Other Scheduled Opportunities
- Thurs, Apr. 2/ 7:00pm, - Our Lady - Sanford
- 12-1pm - Blessed Sacrament (1st, 3rd and 5th Saturdays)
- 3-4 pm - Assumption
- 3-4pm Our Lady - Sanford
- 4:30-5pm - Our Lady - Edenville
- 4:15pm-5pm - Saint Brigid
- Thursday w/school, March 12, 1pm / Blessed Sacrament
- Tuesdays 7pm / Our Lady—Edenville (soup served at 6pm)
- Tuesdays 6:30pm / Saint Brigid after Mass
- Fridays 7pm / Blessed Sacrament
- Fridays 7pm / Our Lady—Sanford
Lenten Weekday Masses
- Tues-Fri, 8:30am Assumption
- Tues & Thurs*, 8:30am Blessed Sacrament
- Tues-Fri, 9:00am Our Lady—Sanford
- Mon & Thurs, 12:05pm Saint Brigid
- Tues, 5:30pm Saint Brigid
- Wed*, 8:30am Saint Brigid
*Mass w/school children
Groceries at Wholesale Prices…..?
The Bridge Food Center is a volunteer-run grocery store that serves families in the community who make a household income of less than $56,000. The Bridge provides the meats, groceries and household items at only 5 cents above wholesale. Volunteers can work as little as 2-3hrs/month as cashiers, baggers, stockers, and assisting shoppers. This is a great family Lenten service opportunity.
Have a neighbor or family member who is struggling with their food budget? Purchase a gift card from The Bridge which will allow them to save from a third to one half on their grocery bills. The Christian Service Commission of ABVM has toured and supports The Bridge, and Stitch and Prayer Group provides hats and scarves that are distributed for free at the Bridge’s bonus table.
To learn more, Contact: Joyce or Marsha at The Bridge located in the Midland Towne Center, 1539 Washington, 989-444-8000
Our Parish is blessed with loving, compassionate people. Thank you for sharing your time and talents.
The office would like to know if anyone in the parish has been certified in CPR and/or using a defibrillator. If you are, would you like to be part of our parish team? There are a few parishioners who have been certified and are up for re-certification. If you are interested in being trained, please let us know. A training session is being planned for some time in March. We would love to have you on our team. If interested, please call the parish office for further information at 631-4447.
For those who pre-ordered pierogi, the Knights will have orders ready after Masses this weekend. You may also go to the parish office during the week to pick up and pay for your orders up until Thursday. Any pierogi left over will be frozen and offered for sale at the K of C pancake breakfast on March 8th in the DuRussel Parish
St. Brigid FISH FRY, ALL-U-CAN EAT Fish/Seafood Dinners during Lent! FRIDAYS / Feb 28-April 3, 4:30pm until 7:00pm
$13 for adults, $6 for children (under 5 free)
For further information or take-out, call 835-9481 ext. 64
Proceeds benefit Saint Brigid Catholic School.
Upcoming Lay Ministry Information Meetings
Is God calling you to do more? To let His light shine through you in service to others? To become a Commissioned / Missioned Lay Minister? We currently have three information sessions scheduled where you can learn more about Lay Ministry Formation:
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. St. Gabriel Parish, 84 W Midland Road, Auburn
- Monday, March 2, 2020, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. St. John Paul II Parish, 3055 Harrison Street, Saginaw
- Saturday, April 4, 2020, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Center for Ministry, 5802 Weiss Street, Saginaw
The Office of Lay Ministry will be accepting applications for those who wish to begin the program in September of 2020. It is a four-year formation experience designed for lay people who wish to expand their knowledge of Scripture and Catholic theology, deepen their relationship with God, and fulfill their baptismal call by serving others.
This meeting is not only for those interested in applying to Lay Ministry, but also for anyone wishing to learn about the Lay Ministry Formation Program.
For more information, please contact Kellie Deming, Coordinator of Lay Ministry, at email@example.com or 989.797.6609.
Worldwide Marriage Encounter Weekend Opportunity, Jan. 31-Feb. 2, or Feb. 28-Mar. 1
- Forget the flowers and candy. Romance your spouse this Valentine's Day with the gift of TIME WITH YOU. Renew your marriage and your faith by attending a Worldwide Marriage Encounter weekend Jan. 31-Feb. 2 at the Comfort Inn in Farmington Hills or Feb. 28-Mar. 1 at the St. Francis Retreat Center in DeWitt. Apply at wwme.org or contact Chris & Darla Vinton at 269-953-8287 for more info.
- http://www.wwme.org/ https://www.facebook.com/worldwidemarriageencounter
LENTEN Family Gathering, Mar. 1st 10:45-Noon @ Assumption
Are You Ready?
Join the children’s faith formation families in the DuRussel hall to learn a little more about prayer, fasting and alms giving during Lent.
Magnificent Mondays Lenten Movie Nights, Mar. 2 to Mar. 30, Mondays 6:30-8:00 p.m. @ Assumption
Magnificent Mondays with Drive Thru History are back and better than ever! Set your GPS for the Holy Land as Dave Stotts tells us about the Acts of the Apostles. Come join us as we learn how the Good News got spread after Jesus’ resurrection. You are sure to enjoy this trip with good fellowship and snacks at Holy Grounds. (Led by Donna Semanco)
- March 2nd thru March 30th
- (Mondays) 6:30-8:00 p.m.
Reserve your seat now at the Welcome Circle or call the office at 631-4447 and ask for Cathy. Read Acts Chapters 1-7 if you want a sneak peek of what we will see.
K of C Pancake Breakfast, Mar. 8th at Assumption, After 9:30am Mass
- Come join us for a great meal after Mass by Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141. 10:30 am.
- Donation priced. Starts right after Mass.
- Proceeds support Seminarians, Postulants and local charities.
- Men’s Christ Renews Retreat, Mar 7/8 at Blessed Sacrament, No cost.
- MEN----it’s time to take a step back from your busy schedule!
- Are you too immersed in the flow of day-to-day life? Where does God fit into your life?
Come join us for a weekend of spiritual renewal. Christ Renews is a two-day weekend, all day Saturday, March 7 and half a day Sunday, March 8 at Blessed Sacrament
The weekend is composed of testimony of men’s real-life experiences, intermingled with songs, laughter, reflection and moments of prayer.
Please consider attending the Men’s Christ Renews weekend. Contact Chuck Zemanek at 631-1368, Walt Selle at 513-2576 or Chris Surbrook at 205-6960 for more information or to register.
MACC-Youth Ministry Invites You: Sunday, Mar. 8th / 6:00-8:00 p.m. @ Assumption
XLT/ADORATION: In His Presence, Praise, Worship, Witness Talk, Adoration, Fellowship!
All are welcome!
XLT - means Exalt and is an opportunity to spend time in adoration.
Is it really a BOOK of LOVE?
The Catechism of the Catholic Church
Join us for two evenings exploring The Catechism of the Catholic Church: Much More than Baltimore Really? A book about God’s love? And not lots of laws? Well, it’s not your Father’s catechism.
Meet the Catechism - Wednesday, March 11
Fr. Bob Byrne shares with us the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of the drafting of our ‘new catechism’ promulgated by St. John Paul in 1992.
Taste & See the Catechism - Wednesday, March 18
Fr. Byrne will guide us as we read a por-tion of the catechism to get a flavor of its approach to sharing the Good News of God’s Love.
St. Patrick’s Day Dinner & Dance, Sat., Mar. 14, @ St Brigid
Proceeds to benefit Diocesan Seminarian Education Fund St. Brigid of Kildare Catholic School
- St. Brigid of Kildare • Cardinal Hickey Hall
- 207 Ashman St. • Midland, Michigan
- Cost: $25 per person
- Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Starts at 6:00 p.m.
- Tickets available at the St. Brigid's Office or call Steve Moser 989-839-9243.
- Make checks payable to: Knights of Columbus #14056
BLOOD DRIVE Mon,Mar. 16, 2pm-6pm, Parish hall
- It’s in you to give blood. Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141, 3516 E. Monroe Rd., Midland, Parish Hall
- Photo ID REQUIRED
- Appointment Preferred Call 1-866-643-5663, versiti.org/mi
- Eat, and drink plenty of water before donation.
LENTEN Book Study “The Women of Easter”, Mar. 4 to Apr 15, @ Assumption, by Liz Curtis Higgs (Led by Mary Smith & Maria Dvorak)
- Prepare your hearts for a richer, deeper Easter experience as we explore the remarkable lives of the women of Easter. Our Lenten book study of “The Women of Easter” by Liz Curtis Higgs introduces us to three of the women of the Bible named Mary.
- We will discuss the chapters using the study guide provided at the back of the book. We will view videos of the author sharing her inspiration for the book and her faith.
- The group will meet in Holy Grounds on Wednesdays beginning on:
- March 4 from 1:00-2:30 / we will meet weekly concluding on April 15.
- Sign up sheets will be at the welcome circle.
- Books are provided through funding by the Education Commission. We look forward to looking more intently into the lives of three Marys and the One they loved.
Tickets for The Big Raffle, Drawing April 23 at Center for Ministry
- Proceeds of the ticket sales will benefit Assumption YM and the St. John Neumann Catholic Education Grant.
- Tickets are $5.00 each
- 1st Prize: Chevy Spark or $10,000
- 2nd Prize: $5,000 Home Improvement Project
- 3rd Prize: Airfare for Two (continental US)
- 4th Prize: Apple I-Pad
- 5th Prize: Computer Laptop
- Drawing to be held at the Center for MinistryThursday, April 23, 2020
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday, April 16-18 from 9:00 to 5:00 pm and Sunday, April 19 after Mass until 5:00 pm.
- SALE HOURS are:
- Tuesday, April 21: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 22: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, April 23: 9:00 – noon (bag day and half off marked items)
- 3516 E Monroe Rd, Midland, MI 48642, (Corner of Jefferson & Monroe) Almost 100 rummage sales since 1965! - All Proceeds to charity!
- Questions or if you can help? Email Mai Nguyen at (Chocon2999@gmail.com) or call the parish office 631-4447.