We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass/Confession Schedule, Bulletin, Calendars, Sunday Homily,
Daily/Reflections, Directions & Church/Officer Hours(Click to expand/collapse)
Mass and Rosary Schedule: Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, 3:00 pm - Lent, or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day - (audio click name)
Directions, Church/Office Hours
Saturday, Nov 16th 4:30pm, Sunday, Nov 17th 9:30am
Our day-by-day Way to Joy
My name is Jean Krause. A few years ago, a friend invited me to a Stitch and Prayer meeting, knowing that I knit, crochet, sew and quilt. My interest was piqued when I learned this group provides items of warmth and comfort for those in need in Midland and surrounding counties.
I attended my first meeting many years ago and was welcomed by all of the members. I feel very honored to help provide for our neighbors in need. Please join us in this wonderful community service and share your skills. You, too, will feel blessed and humbled beyond belief.
Our Parish is blessed with loving, compassionate people. Thank you for sharing your time and talents.
Participate in Acts of Mercy at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish. Listed with a service opportunity below.
Military Services National Collection
- Last weekend you received an envelope in the bulletin from the Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA (AMS) for a National Collection. The Archdiocese for the Military Services was created to provide a full range of pastoral ministries and spiritual services to those serving in the US Armed Forces.
- Currently, there are 285 Catholic military chaplains providing pastoral care to over 1.8 million Catholics on ships, in combat, on bases, and in 153 VA hospitals. The collection helps to support these ministries and services as well as help fund their co-sponsored Seminarian Program which identifies vocations within the military and is now educating 30 men for the priesthood and subsequent military chaplaincy.
- The AMS does not receive any funding from the military or government and relies solely on private donors and this collection.
- If you did not receive an envelope, there are some available at the welcome circle. Please make all checks payable to Assumption.
Assumption CHRISTMAS CHRISTIAN SERVICE
CHRISTMAS FLOWERS TO HOME BOUND
- It’s that time of the year when we begin to review our list of those receiving flowers and those who will be delivering them, to bring a little joy to our home bound.
- If you are interested in delivering a flower to someone, or if you know of someone who is home bound, please call Marlene Saotome (859-2488) or Cathy at the parish office on or before Monday, November 18th.
- If you know of any of our parishioners needing a little help this Christmas season, please call the parish office with the following information: your name, the person or family you are recommending, their address and phone #, along with the number of adults and children in the family.
- We do have money allocated for gift cards. Please call the office before noon on Monday, December 2nd.
- Once again, this Christmas season we are partnering with the Salvation Army and United Way of Midland County to provide gifts for struggling families in our community through the Sharing Tree program.
- Trees are located in the gathering space and parish hall entrances. Please stop by and take a Green or Red tag, shop, wrap and attach the tags to the package. Gift cards are also a great idea to gift. If you purchase a gift card, please attach the sales receipt to the tag and put it into a small gift bag.
- If you are not able to shop, visit the website at: sharingtreemidland.org to make a monetary donation to help purchase unfilled bags.
- December 3—All gifts must be returned to the tree.
- December 4—Distribution Day -- need volunteers to help transport to the Salvation Army. Chris 835-8784
1st grade co-catechist needed
We are in need of someone to share the role of 1st grade catechist for our children’s faith formation program. We meet on Sunday mornings from 10:45am until noon during the school year (starting Sept. 22 with all holidays off). No experience is necessary—all teaching materials are provided. If you feel a call to be a companion to a small group of children on their faith journey and deepen your faith in the process, give Sarah a call at 631-4447 or email email@example.com to find out more!
One more aide is needed to help catechists during children’s faith formation in the classrooms after Mass. Aides can be middle school age and up. Contact Sarah if interested.
November food collection Nov. 16/17 by Nov. 13
In November, our food collection and money collected goes to prepare Thanksgiving Baskets for the needy in the Midland area. The collection this month is November 16/17. If you plan to make a monetary donation, please drop off to the office by Wednesday, November 13 since we will be taking the food and money to Aldersgate on Sunday, November 17.
BOOT DRIVE - Following Jesus and “Pairing it Forward” - t0 Nov 16/17
- Our BOOT DRIVE is going great!
- What a wonderful effort! If you have not brought back your boots please bring slips back with the boots by Nov. 16/17.
- We collected $841.00 so far for the 25 pairs of winter boots for the teenagers. We could still use more monies. We hope to get $1000.00. Last year they were able to buy socks as well. The donation box is available in the gathering space. Bring the children’s boots back along with the donation slip and place them in the large bin that will be in the gathering space.
- Let’s work hard so that none of these children and teenagers go without having a warm pair of boots this winter! We are followers of Jesus; we want to walk in His light! Thank You, Christian Service Commission
We will continue collecting till Nov. 16/17.
BLOOD DRIVE Monday, Nov 25, 2:00pm-7:00pm
- It’s in you to give blood. Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141, 3516 E. Monroe Rd., Midland 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Photo ID or two pieces of non-photo ID REQUIRED
- Appointment Preferred Questions? Call 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Attending donors will receive a pair of Versiti flip-flops WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.
HANDLING GRIEF DURING THE HOLIDAYS Wed, Dec 4th from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Assumption Please RSVP by December 2nd
Presented by the Midland Area Catholic Community Grief Team Come join others who are trying to get through the holidays without their loved ones: Wednesday, December 4th from 6:30 p.m.—8:00 p.m. at Assumption
Learn how to incorporate new traditions during the holidays. Be with others who are trying to get through the holidays without their loved ones. This program will be beneficial for adults and children who have lost parents, grandparents and loved ones. Please RSVP by December 2nd so we have enough supplies and refreshments. Call Assumption Parish at 631-4447 or your parish to register.
Volunteers Needed!!! Faith & Fellowship
Serious mental illness is more common than cancer, diabetes, heart disease or arthritis and affects one out of eight families. Faith and Fellowship is a unique method to provide faith experiences for persons with mental illness in the context of a small community of believers. Volunteers experience spiritual growth and community as we reach out to each other with the hope and joy of a loving God.
Meetings are held once a week during the school year. Is the Holy Spirit calling you to lend your generous heart to work with people who live with mental illness? Please contact Marcia Schneider @ 989 859-4289 or Rita Wernette @ 989 631-6305 or more information. Thank you!
Thank you to everyone who contributed to make the MACC Mission Concert night with ValLimar at Assumption successful. What an amazing night. We are grateful for the parishioners who prepped, served and cleaned up after the reception; parish staff with planning, making brochures; those who ensured the A/V capabilities, and handling the accounting; music ministry and choirs; those who served at the registration table, CD table, as greeters; and those who set up and cleaned up the parish hall tables chairs and equipment. We are grateful to so many people!
ABVM’s Women’s Book Study, Nov 20, Dec 4, 11, and 18
- Book Study Join the Assumption of the BVM book study group for an advent study of “The Women of Christmas” by Liz Curtis Higgs.
- Sign up at the Welcome Circle. Books will be distributed in the Holy Grounds on November 20 at 1pm. We will view an introductory video.
- Future meetings will be held on December 4, 11, and 18 from 1 – 3pm in Holy Grounds to discuss the study questions provided in the book.
- The author writes: “Christmas is so much more than a holiday. So much more than buying and wrapping and cooking and eating and trimming with tinsel and mailing out cards. It’s a season for reflection, for preparation, for renewal. The perfect time to put aside our shopping lists and reach for our Bibles, where the story of the Christ child awaits us.”
- Meetings are held in Holy Grounds from 1-3 pm. Sign up is available at the Welcome Circle. If you have questions, contact Mary Smith at 989-245-2479 or call the church office.
ATTENTION ALL MACC Widowed Friends, Nov 21, 1:00pm
Reminder, we are meeting on the first and third Thursday of every month at Assumption Church to play cards. Please join us on November 21st at 1:00 pm. Coffee and water are provided. If you have a friend who is a widow or widower who would like to come, they are welcome to join us. Contact Pat Blasy for any questions at 631-2140. Widowed Friends Committee
SAINT BRIGID OF KILDARE CHURCH FREE THANKSGIVING DINNER
Thursday, November 28, 2019, 12:00 to 2:30 pm, Dinner is served in the school building
The parishioners of Saint Brigid annually serve a traditional holiday meal with all the trimmings on Thanksgiving Day. We welcome and invite anyone who would enjoy a delicious dinner and friendship.
No reservations required, just walk-in!
Also provided for those TRULY in need:
TRANSPORTATION to and from the dinner or DELIVERED TAKE-OUT DINNERS TO THE HOME BOUND ONLY PROVIDED FROM 11:45-2 pm; within Midland For this service, reservations are required by Tuesday, Nov 20. Call the parish office at 835-7121 ext. 31
Special thanks to all sponsors including The H Hotel, The Table Chefs and Meijers!
- All Middle and High School instrumentalists (with at least 2 years experience) are invited to participate in the Christmas Ensemble.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday following the 9:30 AM Mass. 10:45 — 11:50 AM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Choir Christmas Eve Mass
- The youth (2nd grade—middle school) are invited to participate in the Youth Choir. The Youth Choir will sing during the Christmas Eve Mass prelude program.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday. 12:00 to 12:30 PM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: email@example.com