We’ll use the Little Burgundy books (sent to you in or mail or pickup at church) and our Growers’ Guide Workbook. And we will be guided by the Sunday Gospels, Fr. Joe’s homilies, Prayer Intention Card. Adult GPS Journey Faith Sharing Sessions will be: (Sign-up sheets are at the WELCOME CIRCLE.)
- Mondays, (6:30 -7:30pm) Oct. 7, 14, & 21; OR
- Wednesdays (1:00- 2:00pm) Oct. 9, 16, & 23; OR
- Thursdays (9:30- 10:30am) Oct. 10, 17, & 24.
Fall Harvest Bounty Dinner, sat, Oct 19th, 5:30pm in the Assumption Parish Hall, by Global Compassion Inc.
Menu: Chicken Chili, Vegetarian Chili, Roasted Vegetables, Corn Bread, Salad, Apple Cake.
- Total cost of the project is $5,000. Please join us to share our many blessings with the poor and unprivileged of our world family. We request the local business owners to match the proceeds.
- Also, if you are not able to make the dinner and you wish to send a donation, please contact Indira at 835-1127. Thank you!
- You may register online to help plan the dinner.
Welcome to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass and Rosary Schedule: Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, 3:00 pm - Lent, or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day - (audio click name)
Directions, Church/Office Hours
Saturday, Oct 19th 4:30pm, Sunday, Oct 20th 9:30am
Our day-by-day Way to Joy
My name is John Phillips. I currently have the honor of chairing the Pastoral Council (PC). After I retired, I was looking for an opportunity to help the parish. When an opening on the PC was announced, I thought it would be a good place to have a positive impact. It’s been a great experience working with the other Council members and Father. What a wonderful group! It also opened the door to opportunities to meet and work with other parishioners on the Education Commission and the Wild Goose is Loose program. I’m looking forward to the GPS and Companions in Christ programs and other programs planned this year. We have an opening on the PC now. I would encourage anyone that is interested in joining the PC to contact Father or myself.
Some Dates to Save As our Parish Family Celebrates, Serves and Grows
Commitment to Gratitude, Prayer and Service - 9-29 to 10-26
Fall Harvest Bounty Dinner, Oct 19th, 5:30pm, Parish Hall, by Global Compassion Inc.
MACC Mission - 10/27-10/30
Growing to Share God's Gifts, November 2/3 Through to Thanksgiving Day Nov 28
GRATITUDE, PRAYER, SERVICE
Mark your calendars for:
Mondays, (6:30 -7:30pm) on Oct. 7, 14, & 21;
OR Wednesdays (1:00- 2:00pm) on Oct. 9, 16, & 23;
OR Thursdays (9:30- 10:30am) on Oct. 10, 17, & 24.
- Four weeks of opportunity(ies) for all of us to learn about three words that are important to our faith journey… GRATITUDE, PRAYER, SERVICE
- Our autumn journey of growth will be guided by the Sunday Gospels, Fr. Joe’s homilies, Little Burgundy books for daily prayer about our call to grateful stewardship, and a study guide to help us with our journey of under-standing as we grow in grateful appreciation the many blessings God has given.
- And we can help each other, serve each other and nurture our own growth by sharing our thoughts on the true meaning of Stewardship as together we become Companions in Christ.
- We’ll use the Little Burgundy books and our Growers’ Guide workbook
1st grade co-catechist needed
We are in need of someone to share the role of 1st grade catechist for our children’s faith formation program. We meet on Sunday mornings from 10:45am until noon during the school year (starting Sept. 22 with all holidays off). No experience is necessary—all teaching materials are provided. If you feel a call to be a companion to a small group of children on their faith journey and deepen your faith in the process, give Sarah a call at 631-4447 or email email@example.com to find out more!
One more aide is needed to help catechists during children’s faith formation in the classrooms after Mass. Aides can be middle school age and up. Contact Sarah if interested.
BOOT DRIVE - Following Jesus and “Pairing it Forward” - t0 Nov 16/17
- We will begin our BOOT DRIVE and have a Boot Board in the Gathering Space.
- Please take a slip that will be marked with boy or girl and the size needed.
- We will be in need of 74 pairs of new pre-school size winter boots for WEST MIDLAND and 40 new elementary size winter boots for NORTH MIDLAND.
- We will collect money for the 25 pairs of winter boots for the teenagers.
- Bring the children’s boots back and place them in the large bin that will be in the gathering space. Don’t forget to check Meijers for the buy one get one for $1 sale.
- Let’s work hard so that none of these children and teenagers go without having a warm pair of boots this winter! We are followers of Jesus; we want to walk in His light! Thank You, Christian Service Commission. We will continue collecting till November 16/17.
SIGNING PETITION ban dismemberment abortion procedures, 10/12-13 & 10/19-20
- An effort has been underway across Michigan seeking to gather citizen signatures on a petition to ban dismemberment abortion procedures.
- We here at Assumption will have an opportunity to add our support and signatures to the petition on two upcoming weekends (10/12-13 & 10/19-20). A table in the Welcome Area will offer you an opportunity to sign the dismemberment abortion petition and make your pro-life voice heard. And we will have helpers available to assist you.
- As we exercise this one of our rights as citizens, there are several cautions that need to be heeded. First, YOU CAN ONLY SIGN ONCE. So, if you have already signed at another opportunity, please refrain from signing again.
- Then, you need to be aware that there is also being circulated a second petition sponsored by the “Michigan Heartbeat Coalition.” Unfortunately, this heartbeat petition could weaken and potentially supersede Michigan’s existing pro-life law which already protects all unborn children, not only once a heartbeat is detected but even before any detection. While the intent of this legislation is honorable, there is cause for great concern that, if passed, this law would in fact undercut the existing Michigan law. Therefore, Michigan Catholic Conference and the Catholic bishops in this state are not supporting the heartbeat drive.
- Further information on this important life issue is available online at: www.micatholic.org/MichiganValuesLife/
the 2nd MACC Mission “Becoming Saints - Day by Day”, October 27-30, 2019
Registration is open for the October 27-30 MACC Mission: Becoming Saints--Day by Day.
- Details and registration information may be found in the mission brochure, a copy of which is inserted in the bulletin, or online at MACCMission.org.
- Three of the events will be facilitated by Fr. Fran Daly, SJ and Sr. Kathie Budesky, IHM, directors of Detroit-area Catholic retreat centers. One evening will include a mini-VBS offering for our children.
- The mission will culminate with a concert featuring liturgical musician ValLimar Jansen at Assumption Parish.
- Please register online at MACCMission.org.or by returning the registration portion of the brochure to the parish office. Registering online early will help us plan!
- All Middle and High School instrumentalists (with at least 2 years experience) are invited to participate in the Christmas Ensemble.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday following the 9:30 AM Mass. 10:45 — 11:50 AM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Choir Christmas Eve Mass
- The youth (2nd grade—middle school) are invited to participate in the Youth Choir. The Youth Choir will sing during the Christmas Eve Mass prelude program.
- Practices will take place in the church every Sunday. 12:00 to 12:30 PM Beginning NOVEMBER 10th
- Please sign-up by contacting Bob Zondlak Phone: 835-3736 or Email: email@example.com
HAVING TROUBLE MAKING ENDS MEET? Food Distribution Opportunities
FRI, NOV 1,
- 12:00—2:00 p.m. West Midland Family Center
- 1:00—3:00 p.m. North Family Center
Thursday, November 7
- Midland Mall—north entrance to old Younkers
Register: 9:00 a.m. Distribute: 11:30 a.m.
1st Prize - Quilt on Display in Welcome Circle
49th Annual Assumption Holiday Bazaar and Bake Sale, Sat, Nov 9th
The bazaar will be held on Saturday, November 9th. Raffle donations are needed, such as new merchandise, gift cards—business services, sporting events, etc., and of course cash is always welcome! All proceeds from the bazaar are given to local charities. Donations can be dropped off at the parish office. Thank you for your generosity!
Buy your Bazaar Raffle Tickets Now
- 1st prize is the quilt on display, 2nd prize $300.00 cash, 3rd prize $200.00 cash and there will be other donated prizes.
- Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. Tickets will be available before and after Mass up until the day of the Bazaar, and in the office during the week.
- Make checks payable to Assumption. The winning tickets will be drawn Nov. 9th at the Bazaar.
- VENDOR TABLES – The Bazaar has over 60 vendors and has expanded with some bigger vendors in classrooms. Be sure to come and shop!
- RAFFLE – Tickets are on sale for $5 each or 5 for $20. 1st Prize Quilt, 2nd Prize $300.00 and 3rd Prize $200.00. There are also donated items you might win!
- DONATIONS – for the Raffle are welcome anytime.
- BAKE SALE – Please bake some of your special homemade goodies and drop them off for the Bake Sale on Friday. The more baked goodies donated, the more the Bake Sale can sell!
- NOODLES – Learn how to make egg noodles with some of the best cooks at Assumption! Lots of fun, laughter and conversation. No experience necessary.
- CINNAMON ROLLS – Roll, twist, and sugar, bake and share the best aroma of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. No experience necessary, lots of fun and fellowship!
- CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP – Come and learn how to make it from scratch, the best soup you will ever have with wonderful conversation, and friends. Everyone welcome.
- SLOPPY JOES – Another secret recipe shared with those who help and an opportunity for fun, fellowship and conversation.
- DECORATING – Setting up tables, chairs, table decorations, and signage for the Bazaar. A little help with the planning for this is also needed.
- ADVERTISING – Help distributing flyers and putting up signage.
This weekend through November 9th (Sign up sheets are out this weekend)
We are in need of someone to take care of the Bazaar Raffle Contact Val Rossi 631-4447
- Mon., Nov 4th 8am – noon Making Egg Noodles for the Bake Sale— Linda Horbal 631-4447 and Kathy Curtis 859-5225
- Thurs., Nov 7th Starting at 9am Bagging Noodles
- Thurs., Nov 7th 1pm – 4pm Making Chicken Noodle Soup and Sloppy Joes— K of C Assumption
- Fri., Nov 8th 8am – noon Making Cinnamon Rolls - Linda Stopka 832-0419
- 8am Bake Sale Donations Accepted— Julene Dobrzelewski 835-6700
- 10am—12noon Helping with Table Set-up - .Chris Batcke 835-9784
BLOOD DRIVE Monday, Nov 25, 2:00pm-7:00pm
- It’s in you to give blood. Knights of Columbus Fr. Henry P. DuRussel Council #2141, 3516 E. Monroe Rd., Midland 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Photo ID or two pieces of non-photo ID REQUIRED
- Appointment Preferred Questions? Call 1-866-MIBLOOD, miblood.org
- Attempting donors will receive a pair of Versiti flip-flops WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.