Welcome to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Assumption feast day, The weekend's planned parking lot masses, 8-15 and 8-16
We will celebrate our parish feast day, the Assumption of Mary, with PARKING LOT MASSES Saturday at 4:30 and Sunday at 9:30 (weather permitting) These Masses will be in the NORTHSIDE parking lot area.
--Bring a chair: there will be a designated area for setting up your lawn chairs with appropriate distancing and masks; OR
--Stay at your car: stay in the car or sit by it with appropriate distancing and masks;
Worship Aids for these celebrations will be sent via email later this week and can be downloaded and printed out for you to bring with you. In case of rain, the masses will be shifted inside and notice of the change will be sent out as early as possible. Watch for further information and details.
Mass and Rosary Schedules
Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 am - follow restrictive guidelines please. For weekday Masses, please use the South entrance.
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm - follow restrictive guidelines please.
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am - follow restrictive guidelines please.
- Please know that the church doors will be opened from 10:00 a.m.—2:00 p.m., Mon thru Thurs, if anyone is in need of a quiet place to pray and/or meditate.
Reconciliation by appointment only.
Scheduled Ministries - to be updated
Directions, Church/Office Hours
- Get Directions 3516 E. Monroe Rd. Midland, Mi 48642 1-(989)-631-4447
- Office Hours: CLOSED—But someone will be in the office from 9am-3pm Mon-Thurs & 9am-noon on Fri to answer calls. Please call if you need an appointment with someone on staff.
Calendar seasonal hours
...and Jesus said, "Come."'
Here's a look at the precautions and procedures in place at Assumption to keep us all safe and healthy while we attend Mass.
For about 8 weeks we've been gathering in response to Christ's invitation for Eucharist. Many have understandably opted to not come, but we've done quite a bit so we can both worship and stay healthy. Check out the changes at our shared Assumption church home.
Our Parish is blessed with loving, compassionate people. Thank you for sharing your time and talents.
BACK TO SCHOOL COLLECTION
Even though we are not sure how classes will be this fall, there will still be a need for school supplies. To help children have a quality school year, our parish family, assisted by the Christian Service Commission is once again organizing a collection of back-to-school items. The supplies collected will be given to the North Midland Family Center and to families in need.
- If you would like to give a monetary donation, make the check payable to ABVM marked “school supplies”.
- Drop off bins will be in the gathering space, bring your items to Mass on the weekend or during the week 10-2 Mon-Thurs (south door only).
- There will be bins for these items in the gathering space the weekends of August 8/9 and 15/16.
- Suggested items needed are:
- PENS, PENCILS, CRAYONS, ERASERS, COLORING BOOKS, MARKERS, RULERS, GLUE STICKS, PAPER PRODUCTS, SCISSORS, FLASHCARDS, STENCILS, PENCIL BOXES, BACKPACKS, COLORED PENCILS, CONSTRUCTION PAPER, NOTEBOOKS, STORAGE CONTAINERS
Thanks for making a difference in our community! Your response to this collection in the past has been awesome.
PARISH GARDEN UPDATE
The garden is flourishing right now! It is already sharing a beautiful harvest that we've been delivering to the Bridge Store. Food for the body and soul.
If you are interested in joining this dedicated group of gardeners, please call Bernie or Michele Link at 689-5228.
Once again we invite you to participate in this worthwhile project of providing food for people in need. We invite you to bring in vegetables and fruit from your garden on: Tuesday or Thursday morning before 9:30 am (please leave outside by the office doors).
For more information on Hidden Harvest,check out their website at www.hiddenharvest.com or call 1-877-529-8488. Thanks for your support!
Mobile Food Truck—July 23rd Wow, what a great day!!!
A very special thank you to all 33 volunteers from our parish. Everyone pitched in to assist the 135 households (333 people) receiving food. 24,295 lbs of food was distributed. Our day was blessed with good weather: no rain and very cloudy with lower temperatures. This was great considering we worked outside for the entire project. Ann M. Schoren
open dour Soup Kitchen -We need you!
With the continued uncertainty of the coronavirus , many of our volunteers are unable to return to serving in our soup kitchen yet. In addition, the grab-and-go style service and extended serving hours require more hands.
- If you are healthy and feel comfortable serving, would you consider giving some of your time to serve our homeless and hungry friends at our soup kitchen?
- To sign up or to learn more, please call Vicki at 989-835-2291.
Children’s Faith Formation Families: We need your opinion!
We are currently exploring several different models for how to structure our CFF program this year.
If you are considering or plan to enroll your children (preschool thru 5th grade) in our 2020-2021 faith formation program, we would be grateful for your opinion and feedback on certain topics and would also like to assess family resources. A brief, online survey was emailed out this past week to families who were enrolled in CFF last year. If you missed the link or are new to the program, please visit and take the quick survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XCDSJ5W Thank you - Sarah Hocking
YOUTH MINISTRY Registration Email
Watch for the Faith Formation registration email coming your way next weekend. Looking ahead to our Fall YM program, ‘Called to Love’. Until then, I encourage you to use the Connect! Sunday Reflection, found below, to have a faith based discussion on the Sunday readings with your youth.
Blessings on your summer spiritual journey. Enjoy the summer days!! Peace ~ Kathy Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We have great news!! We are bringing VBS to YOU!
Visit web page VBS 2020 to access Parent Leader Guide, Bolt portal and more. It's Free!
Assumption is sharing resources so ALL our families can enjoy a backyard VBS experience called BOLT.
Why should we include BOLT VBS into our summer plans?
- It can be led by older siblings, babysitters, grandparents, ...really anyone hanging out with your kids!
- You can invite other family members, neighbors, friends to experience VBS with you!
- It can be done anytime this summer—even multiple times if you want!
- It is FREE!!
With minimal preparation, easy to follow instructions, and a video that leads you and your kids step-by-step through each of the 3 days, BOLT is designed for you to experience at home anytime during your family’s busy summer schedule.
We highly recommend reading the “Parent and Leader Guide” ahead of time. The guide will give you step-by-step directions for using BOLT. It really is easy!
And most important—your children will learn to listen to, focus on and follow Jesus. So what are you waiting on?? Let’s BOLT!!