Welcome to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
We are a Catholic community of welcome and warmth sharing growth as we seek to develop as disciples of Jesus using the four pillars of Christian discipleship: Community, Message, Worship, and Service.
- Community - Created for and called to spreading God's love and mercy throughout parish family and surrounding community through spiritual and social opportunities,
- Message - Sharing the Good News of God's Love, mercy and redemption to all through Faith Adult, Faith Youth Ministry, Faith Children, and Sacramental Preparation,
- Worship - Gathering to gratefully share prayer as we participate in the Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist,
- Christian Service - Using the gifts God has entrusted to us to serve God by helping those in need.
Mass and Rosary Schedule: Please note that if the Midland Public Schools are closed or on delay, weekday Mass is cancelled!
- Saturday Mass at 4:30 pm
- Sunday Mass at 9:30 am
- Monday Word and Communion Services at 8:30 am
- Tuesday-Friday Mass 8:30 am
- Rosary Monday-Friday 8:00 am
Confession Sat 3:30 pm, 3:00 pm - Lent, or by appointment
- Today's Scripture: Text, Audio, Video
- "A Second's Thought" by Fr Joe
- Jesuit Prayer/Daily Reflection
- Saint of the Day - (audio click name)
Directions, Church/Office Hours
"Strive to enter through the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough." (Luke 13:24)
Our day-by-day Way to Joy
My name is Marilyn Zank. Service to others is how I feel I am called to be God’s servant. God blessed me with many gifts to help his church, through Music Ministry, decorating with Art & Environment, organizational skills, teaching and gardening. I feel God talks to each of our hearts to help direct us to the work He would like us to do. If we don’t hear Him the first time, God will present His idea to us in another fashion.
Volunteering builds relationships with other people, which in turn builds community and friendships. We all have a deep desire to be a part of something bigger, more than just one can do alone. One voice is pretty but a whole congregation singing moves all the hearts to God. Sing praise!
Mission Appeal Announcement
This weekend, Reverend Donald McEachin, CSSp, will visit our parish to speak at the Masses about the missionary work of the Church and in particular that of the Spiritans (a native son of Saginaw, Fr. Don presently is serving as a missionary in rural parishes of the Dominican Republic).
This visit is part of a national program in which annually a representative of one of the missionary groups visits parishes of the Diocese to invite the parish to share in the mission work of the universal Church. The Spiritans (Congregation of the Holy Spirit, previously known as the Holy Ghost Fathers) are an international community engaged in a wide range of missionary activity in over 60 countries throughout the world. To learn more about the Spiritans, please visit their website at www.spiritans.org.
When Jesus said: “You shall witness to me in Jerusalem and in Samaria and to the ends of the earth”, He made spread of the Gospel an essential part of our Catholic life.
We urge you to respond generously to Father Don’s appeal.
5th grade catechist needed
We are in need of a 5th grade catechist for our children’s faith formation program. We meet on Sunday mornings from 10:45am until noon during the school year (starting Sept. 22 with all holidays off). No experience is necessary—all teaching materials are provided. If you feel a call to be a companion to a small group of children on their faith journey and deepen your faith in the process, give Sarah a call at 631-4447 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
HUGE NEED FOR MINISTERS AT OUR MASSES
- The new Ministry Schedule for our 4:30 p.m. and 9:30 a.m. Masses will be coming out for October, November, and December. We have a HUGE need for ALL MINISTRIES.
- I ask you to pray about seriously considering signing up for a ministry.
- Our masses run so much better when all are taking a part in fulfilling these roles. Parents consider encouraging your child to be a server, maybe even join them in the ministry. If all of us, parents, children, teenagers, young adults, middle aged and seniors, would help with these ministries, it would be so much easier for the ones that have done it for several years.
- Please contact the parish office and ask for Cathy Converse. I look forward to talking with you and getting you trained in the ministry that you have chosen.
- Once you signed up through our online schedule, your weekends can be flexible. You can choose what works best in your schedule.
- We Thank You and appreciate your dedication Blessings, Cathy
Openings available Pastoral Council or the Administration / Finance Commission
- Willingness is a key qualification as God has gifted us all.
- Every parish needs willing lay leadership and here at Assumption we have been blessed by a number of folks who have and are serving on our commissions and councils.
- But, as we ramp up for our 2019-2020 “year”, we also have openings that we need to fill. If you would like to be considered for service on either our Pastoral Council or the Administration/Finance Commission, please leave your name at the Welcome Circle—or otherwise let us know of your interest.
- The Pastoral Council helps guide the overall growth and activity of our family of faith; and the Administration/Finance Commission oversees the budgets and buildings that support and house our parish’s projects, personnel and worship (so financial and/or facility management/maintenance experience are useful). Also, both the Education and Christian Service Commissions would welcome your interest in serving with them.
- Thank you again for your support of Assumption as we seek to follow our GOOD SHEPHERD now into our 104th year.
Financial Peace University - MOre Info
Planning for the future is hard when you’re still paying for the past! There’s a better way! Join our Financial Peace University group, and we’ll learn how to beat debt and make a plan for the future . . . together! Interested? Join me at Our Lady of Grace/Sanford Library starting Saturday, Sept. 7 at 10:00 a.m. Call to register. FPU membership is $129.00. The first 8 people to register will receive a reduced price of $109.00. Membership gives you a workbook, access to numerous on-line budgeting tools and access to not only this class but any future class in the area. To register: Marybeth @ 687-5657 x4; Marybeth.email@example.com.
Weekend of Aug 25/26 - More Info and opportunities.
Hey 6th, 7th and 8th Graders! Wanna go to KOKOMO’S?, Thur, Aug 29, 1-4 pm, Cost: $17. Register by Aug 22
- Includes: Unlimited FUN!
- Laser Tag! Miniature Golf!
- Bumper Boats! Go-Carts!
- Plus 1 slice of pizza & 1 small pop!
Contact Kathy Russell or see the registration form in the gathering space for more information. Registration deadline: Thursday, August 22nd.
GRIEF RECOVERY, register by Sept 4
Sponsored by the Midland Area Catholic Community Developed by the Diocese of Saginaw, Hosted by Assumption BVM Parish, Wednesday, September 11, 2019 through Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:30-8:00pm (there is no charge)
Help for those who are experiencing grief through the death of a loved one. A grief recovery process for healing within a safe and supportive environment. Led by trained facilitators, these sessions will provide the opportunity for personal reflection and group sharing.
Non-denominational process within a Christian framework. All are welcome who have experienced a loss more than three months ago. If you have questions or wish to register, please call Cathy in the parish office at 631-4447.
Deadline for registration is September 4th!
the 2nd MACC Mission “Becoming Saints - Day by Day”, October 27-30, 2019
Registration is open for the October 27-30 MACC Mission: Becoming Saints--Day by Day.
Details and registration information may be found in the mission brochure, a copy of which is inserted in the bulletin, or online at MACCMission.org. The mission includes four evening events, one of which will be hosted by each of our four MACC parishes. Three of the events will be facilitated by Fr. Fran Daly, SJ and Sr. Kathie Budesky, IHM, directors of two Detroit-area Catholic retreat centers. One evening will include a mini-VBS offering for our children. The mission will culminate with a concert featuring liturgical musician ValLimar Jansen. Please register online at MACCMission.org.or by returning the registration portion of the brochure to the parish office. Registering online early will help us plan!
Growing to KNOW God's Gifts, Sept 28 thru Oct 27 Four weeks to reflect on our blessings.
BECOMING DISCIPLES - DAY BY DAY - OCT 27 - OCT 30 MACC PARTNERSHIP MISSION
GROWING TO SHARE GOD'S GIFTS, NOVEMBER 2/3 THROUGH TO THANKSGIVING DAY NOV 28, Our Stewardship commitments lead us to Thanksgiving (the turkey feast and the ongoing attitude of gratitude)…